Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Is It All Bogus? [Jonah Goldberg]
Interesting post about the black guy and the Obama-Hitler-mustache poster.
(Yes, it’s going to be one of those posts.) A couple of thoughts before we go any further down this particular primrose path:
1. Nothing that follows is remotely interesting, unless “interesting” is just a really bad spelling of “goofy-ass wingnut internet gibberish”. You probably suspected as much, but now you have been officially notified, so I’ll have no whining out of you. Moving on.
2. Presumably there were multiple guys holding Obama-Hitler-mustache posters, but Jonah’s not talking about those guys here. He’s only talking about the black guy. An important clarification.
3. The “interesting post” highlights the fact that … well, I’ll just quote it for you:
Here’s the thing, though - that black man is a Dingell supporter!
Again, if you were wondering “which black man was holding the Obama-Hitler-mustache poster?” the answer is clearly “that black man“, the John Dingell-supporting one in italics and boldface and the puckish lavander type. You see now how all the seemingly-unrelated details of this story are beginning to coalesce into a coherent narrative. The damning evidence comes, of course, from that most reliable of sources – something some illiterate on the internet heard from someone calling into FOX NEWS!
A couple that were at Dingals TH meeting said there was a black man outside with a sign comparing Obama the Adolf Hitler. After the meeting ended and when everyone was leaving this same man was handing out Dingal campaign flyers.
Sorry no link, I’m on my Palm but maybe someone can download it from Fox and post the link.
It’s the one with the black guy who just discovered the <font> tag.
4. Funny story:
Update: Apparenly the guy‘s a LaRouchie, so of course the MSM says he’s a mainstream Republican!
Which is so much crazier than saying he’s a mainstream Democrat. Which is what you just did. Like, a carriage return ago. But why am I bringing up ancient history? After all, Lyndon LaRouche is a Democrat and John Hinkley, Jr. is entering a third decade of wedded bliss with Jodie Foster. We should just be happy for them. To be fair, though, the hated EmEssEm might have confused the guy with a mainstream Republican because all the mainstream Republicans in attendance confused him with a mainstream Republican, and because you are, all of you, indistinguishably bazoo.
5. Jonah, I don’t know how to break it to you, but perhaps you may remember a prominent conservative recently wrote a book called “Liberal Fascism“, a book which equated everybody to the left of Adolph Hitler with Adolph Hitler. You may remember this book because – in an eminently fair and gracious and typically thoughtful review -you praised it as “groundbreaking”, opining that it presented an argument that had “never been made in such detail [or] with such care.” You may also recall this book because you wrote it. So, when you start to concoct grand conspiracies of people trying to frame blameless conservatives as being the sort of people to go around comparing liberals with fascists, some might question your credibility here. Not me, obviously, but some. I look forward to your next book about how the Queen of England secretly paid the MSM to start this scurrilous smear campaign with her drug profits. Let’s close this circle.
6. I say we scrap health care reform and all the rest of that junk and just start up the death panels.